Tuesday, March 23, 2010

May 23, 2010
I've heard the passion story of Jesus for all my life. As I've matured, I've come to appreciate the depth of love that motivated Christ to surrender his sinless life in reparation for our sins. One thing I've always wondered is why not defend yourself? You were going to be crucified anyway. Why not respond with something profound? You were so brilliant. Why not throw an amazing retort towards your "judges"? There were many times when Your responses were poignant and pointed. It wouldn't have changed the outcome and at least you would have had a chance to state your position.
Last week I had breakfast with my soon-to-be-ex boss. He lingered on his abilities to welcome criticism from the staff. He explained why his way was correct. He described his concern over the financial health of his team. I had so many answers and was quiet. Now I get the silence of the unjustly confused. First, anything you say will make no difference. Secondly, you see a person so unwilling to listen that the effort makes no sense. Lastly, you have so little respect for this person that you don't want to waste the energy.

No comments: